Sunday, May 31, 2009

America's Fittest 5 Cities-2009

Well,well, well-what have we here?Guess which city has topped the list of the fittest city in the whole of the United States-it's none other than Washington D.C!!! Congratulations-looks like the capital is also leading by example in the fitness dept too. The other cities that made it into the top 5 position are:
  1. Washington D.C
  2. Minneapolis-St. Paul
  3. Denver
  4. Boston
  5. San Francisco
The bottom three cities were Oklahoma City, Detroit and Birmingham,Ala.
The survey conducted by the American College of Sports Medicine took into consideration factors like availability of parklands, public transportation, death rate from cardiovascular diseases, smoking, amount of servings of fruits and vegetables per day and number of primary care physicians per capita among other things.
Looks like the first family have a lot to boast about along with their White House vegetable garden.
Read more:

16 comments:

Pooja said...

That was an interesting survey!

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

I can attest to the fact that Boston is relatively in shape! When I travel I am usually surprised at what I see in other areas of the country.

Jenn said...

I figured LA would have been near the top. Everyone here is so obsessed with fitness. Ok not everyone, but majority. Then again we do have a balance of the not so fit kind.

Gita Jaishankar said...

Wow...thats interesting! We are very close to DC :)

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Yikes, I wonder where Columbus, Ohio falls on that list! Interesting info. I think Ohio has worked hard at putting a lot of walking and biking paths around the cities, which is helpful.

Anonymous said...

I read about this from Lara's blog...it's crazy! Washington D.C? that's where I live! I never really thought it was a fit city...makes me wonder how Alabama is like! shudder...

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

I believe it- I walked everywhere when I used to live in dc!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Thats interesting article...

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That's great! Although I might have assumed LA because of Hollywood and the movie industry would be in the top 5!

Apparently Australia is becoming a very obese nation!

Hari Chandana P said...

very interesting!!

Anonymous said...

Cool, DC is number one! I hope it includes the whole metro area :)

theUngourmet said...

That is a surprise! I'm with Jenn. I figured it would be a place with a more temperate climate.

Yes, you could do regular couscous the same way but I think the cooking time is shorter.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Pooja,Pavithra,Hari Chandana: thanks!
Michelle: good to know :)
Jenn:I guess you have the good with the bad everywhere!
Gita,LK:congrats on being in/near the fittest city!!
Gina:looks like Columbus is 29th-not bad!!
Sophie:yes,that's something I'd like to know too.
Lorraine:quite surprising,knowing how obsessed Oz is with sports!!
Natasha:the D.C area included Alexandria and Arlington,Va.
Kim:thanks,will try it out and let you know:)

chow and chatter said...

i love DC very European great parks and places to walk, have you been?, going there this weekend, DC first then Baltimore for training for a research study lol

Nithya Praveen said...

Yeah its interesting,i live in Minneapolis and agree its one of the fittest cities.All is fine except for the bad and horrible winter which is way tooooo long.This is one of the coldest places in the US:-(

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Sweta this is an interesting survey and was excited to see Boston out there... I visited all the places other than Denver!!!