Monday, May 11, 2009

Dal Makhani-the low cal version!

Dal Makhani-low cal version

Nothing beats eating dal makhani (with the oodles of butter and cream) with hot rice or chapathis or even naan. We always ate it in restaurants as I had no clue how to make it.I had to try out an alternative way which didn't have so much butter or cream so that we could enjoy it regularly instead of eating it once in a way. The "better-half" warned that if it doesn't taste like the restaurant stuff,he wasn't going to touch it(so much for a supportive husband!).Anyway,I substituted the cream and butter with low-fat milk . I must warn you here-it takes me a good 2 hours to make this dish,but it's worth the effort every time.Suffice to say that it was eaten by the fussy hubby and it's been added to his list of dishes that turns out well even without the extra fat!
Here's the recipe:
Ingredients:
  • Whole urad (black matpe beans): 1 cup(soaked overnight)
  • Split bengal gram dal: 1 tablespoon OR 1/2 cup red beans(soaked overnight)
  • Tomatoes: 3 nos.(pureed)
  • Onion: 1/2 medium (preferably red onions),finely chopped
  • Garlic: 2 flakes (finely chopped)
  • Green chilies or 2 nos(slit lengthwise)
  • Low fat milk: 1 and 1/2 cups
  • Red chilly powder: 1 or 2 teaspoon(according to taste)
  • Coriander/cilantro leaves-2 tablespoon
  • Curd: 1 tablespoon (whipped)
  • Sugar: 1 teaspoon (optional)
  • Salt: to taste
Method:
  1. Discard the water used for soaking the beans/dal overnight.
  2. Put 6 cups of water into a pressure cooker and add Urad,split gram(or red beans),chopped onion,garlic.Cook till one whistle then let it cook on a low flame for about half an hour.( If you don't have a pressure cooker,cook in a closed saucepan for at least 40-45 minutes).
  3. After half an hour,switch off and let the pressure drop.Then,open and add the tomato puree and the slit green chilies.Cook, stirring occasionally for 20 mins on reduced flame.
  4. Add the milk and cook for 8-10 mins.
  5. Add the red chilly powder,sugar(optional) and salt. Let it cook on low flame for a further 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  6. Garnish with chopped cilantro/coriander leaves and whipped curd.
Question:Which is your fave high-cal dish that you would love to have in a low-cal version?

23 comments:

Priyanka said...

Thats one yummy and healthy version of the original one! I think I would love to make a healthy version of Butter chicken, the way my Mom makes it.

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

woooo.... this indian dish looks yummy~~~ I guess i should first try the original version of it and then try this healthy version! :)

theUngourmet said...

Mmm! This looks so spicy and delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

chow and chatter said...

looks great my dear sweta, um, chocolate cake he he but one thin slice of the real thing is fine, its funny that KFC now does grilled- I think they read your blog!!
2 hours Indian cooking always takes ages thats why its great to make extra to have leftovers, lol

chef and her kitchen said...

looks creamy n it is low cal...hmm interesting..

Anonymous said...

this sounds amazing....can I use black lentils? or is that the same?
ok, fav high-cal food that I would love to be made lower-cal...how bout the Italian Easter pie? mmm...

Pearl said...

i have never heard of dal makhani - after reading the comments, it sounds like i'm missing out on something :)

Yasmeen said...

Slow cooking certainly makes all the difference and the loads of spices too.I wish the luscious chocolate cake were always made in low cal version,the store-bought are so full of cals.

Pooja said...

Looks creamy n delicious! And healthy too :)

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow.....delish...

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Priyanka-hmmm,good choice!Butter chicken and low-cal then I guess it won't be called "butter" chicken ;)
BJD,Pearl-you should find it at any good Indian restaurant worth their salt!
The Ungourmet,Prathiba,Pooja,Kitchen flavours-thanks :)
Burp and slurp-I think matpe beans are diff from black lentil.They are smaller and look like black mung beans.
Reb-I hope your hubby knows how lucky he is!!
Yasmeen-I'm so sure you can come out with the low-cal recipe for a choc cake,but be sure to patent it first!!

sangeeta said...

wow good to see this dal makhni here....i make it low cal too...
BTW i already have a low cal butter chicken on my space.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! I would love a lower cal version of pad thai....I could probably try to figure one out! Have a great day, Sweta!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Looking so creamy and yummy.. i always love it ..low calorie sure i will try it out

kristen :) said...

mmm . . . looks so flavorful! I just love all your recipes. Thank you for the award :) When I get back to blogging regularly I will pass it on. I would love low-fat versions of anything with peanut butter, especially desserts!

-kristen

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Sangeeta-wow,thanks,will definitely check out the recipe!
Angie,Kristen-low fat versions of pad thai and PB recipes will be just awesome :)
Pavithra-do let me know if you like it!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Irresistable Sweta, love this and when I read the title I was all the more excites becos of thelow cal...

Renus Kitchen said...

love daal makhani....will try your low cal version

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Oodles of butter and cream, I can almost taste it!!

Angie's Recies said...

I hope you made lots of them....and saved it for the rainy days......

Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful and great low calorie recipe! Can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

Sweta- Greek yogurt is basically strained yogurt. It is creamier and thicker, and higher in protein. My understanding is that you can strain plain yogurt through a cheesecloth and make it at home- I've never tried, though....I love the consistency of it and that it has more protein.

chow and chatter said...

Congrats on becoming a foodbuzz publisher lol Rebecca