Friday, May 22, 2009

Sweet Pickled Carrots

Pickled Carrots
As a kid I was always excited to see my gran make all sorts of pickles during summer.These ranged from raw mango,lime and mixed vegetable pickles in different flavours-sweet,spicy,sweet-n-sour. Then,she would put them in big pickle jars and leave it to marinate-some in the sun,some in the shade. We would bug her everyday to find out when we could get to taste them. Back then,I was more interested in the sweet and sweet-n-sour pickles as I couldn't eat spicy stuff.
I've never tried my hand at pickling-I always thought it was such a cumbersome and long process. The other day,we ate pickled carrots at a Mexican restaurant,which we liked and that's when I decided to try my hand at it.
I came across two recipes that I liked and decided to mix both recipes to make a sweet-n-sour carrot pickle.Here's what I used-
Ingredients:
  • Baby Carrots: 250 g(approx),slit lengthwise
  • Vinegar: 1 cup (distilled white vinegar)
  • Peppercorns:4-5
  • Garlic: 2 peeled and sliced
  • Salt:1 teaspoon(or according to taste)
  • Sugar:2 teaspoon
  • Water: 1 cup
  • Oil: 1 teaspoon
Method:
  1. Heat the oil in a pan,add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes.
  2. Add the carrots and saute for another 3-4 minutes.
  3. Add the vinegar,salt,sugar,peppercorns and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
  4. Add water and simmer again for 10 minutes.
  5. Allow it to cool completely.Transfer into a sterilized bottle/jar with a tight lid.
  6. Let it marinate overnight in the fridge for the flavours to develop.
Check out the original recipe for the spicy pickle here and the sweet pickle here.

Question: Do you make your own pickles?

25 comments:

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Yum! I definitely copied that recipe. My grandma used to make pickled beets and eggs ALL THE TIME. I think I was the only grandchild that loved them :)

eatingRD said...

I did get your e-mail, and it actually didn't go to my junk mail! We are working on getting the flash drive to you, I'm so glad you won :) I love pickled vegetables. I usually make a big batch and then munch on them and throw them on salads for weeks. I think I'm going to have to make some now!

-kristen

Heather S-G said...

Yes! I love making all sorts of pickles..especially at the end of the summer when I have a big bounty to preserve!! Yum, your pickles look great!

Jenn said...

I've never tried pickling before. i guess i never really had the patience to wait a week or how many day for something to get done. LOL I may eventually try someday. =)

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Yah i never done befor do it for sure.. its nice post for me

Pearl said...

yum yum yum pickling!

Unknown said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog! Keep visiting!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Gina-I must try beets next :)
Kristen-thanks a ton!!
Girlichef-wow,I'd love to see some of your pickle recipes!!
Jenn:same here,that's why I tried this recipe-the waiting period is only 12 hours!!
Pavithra,Pearl,Divya- :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pickles in the jars! Love it! I have never tried making pickles but my brother-in-law makes these really yummy spicey cucumber dills!

Anonymous said...

My grandma also used to make some delicious pickled veggies. I've never tried myself yet.

chow and chatter said...

good job swets looks great isn't cool to go to restaurants then get inspired

have a fab weekend Rebecca

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

A dietician with a food blog ? Wow - I am thrilled to be here.. Lovely site

Pooja said...

Wow pickles look yummy! I love pickles but you know what? I'm yet to try on my own. Had written down recipe long time back but never made it! Yours tempts me!

sangeeta said...

it looks fresh n yummy....can be used in some salads as well.

Angie's Recipes said...

I can eat loooooooooooots of pickles (esp. those fridge ones) before a meal, then I am done. No space for the meal...I told myself: don't do this again. Then when the next batch of pickles in front of me, I don't remember what I promised last time any more.

Christo Gonzales said...

excellent! and yes I make pickled hot peppers all the time!

Vrinda said...

I never made pickles..urs look perfect..will giv it a try

Anonymous said...

I've never made my own pickle before. But I do have some Korean-style pickles in my fridge made by my grandma, brought all the way from korea!

Tangled Noodle said...

I'm not much of a carrot fan but you've made this look so delicious! I have never made any pickled foods (because I'm worried I won't sanitize the jars well enough and end up poisoning everyone with botulism!) but there is a Filipino dish called atchara that is made of pickled green/raw papaya and carrots that I may try to make. The blogger @ Kusina ni Manang a nice recipe and pix.

BTW, thank you for your comment on my b-day blog and many happy wishes to you on your upcoming special day!

Renus Kitchen said...

I love carrot pickles....nice click!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Angie,Natasha,Pooja,Vrinda,Sophie:will wait for the day you try it out for the first time and put a post on your blog:)
Angie(@angie'srecipe):I know what you mean,my son and I munched through a jar at one go!!
Sangeeta:yes,it'll taste great in a salad(i.e,if there are any left);)
Reb,DB,Renu:thank you :)
HCOF:welcome,and thanks!
TN:pickles are called "achar" in hindi too!Again,can't disregard the similarity!!

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

I've been wanting to try pickles. My husband tried some once and messed it up--it smelled SO bad. I think that's why I'm scared to try :-) but I will!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

I've never made it, but love love eating it! :D this recipe seems easy to make, I'll definitely trying this!

theUngourmet said...

Ooh! I would love to try these! I haven't tried to can anything pickled yet. I have just canned jam so far.

Thank you for the reply to my question. :0)

Yasmeen said...

Never tried my own pickle but this sounds so easy:)