Friday, May 1, 2009

Quinoa Upma

Quinoa
I had heard so much about "Quinoa" a high protein 'pseudo cereal' (foods that are cooked and eaten like grains and have a similar nutrient profile). It is rich in complete protein, fibre, the B vitamins and healthy monounsaturated fats. It is believed that substituting quinoa for grains like polished rice and wheat could improve the blood glucose levels in diabetics and the cholesterol levels . Also, since it has a high fibre content it is a good choice for those looking to lose weight.
After researching a bit with the different recipes ,I realized that I could try it out in my regular 'mixed veg upma' recipe. Here's how to make quinoa upma:

Ingredients:
  • Quinoa: 1 cup
  • Mixed vegetables: 2 cups(green beans, peas,corn,carrots)
  • Onion-1/2 medium(finely chopped)
  • Green chillies-1 or 2(finely chopped)
  • Tomatoes: 1(chopped fine)
  • Mustard seeds-1/2 teaspoon
  • Urad dal(black matpe bean dehusked and split)-1 teaspoon
  • Sambar powder-1 teaspoon(optional)
  • Water: 2 cups
  • Salt: to taste
  • Oil: 1 teaspoon
Method:
  1. Wash the quinoa 2-3 times,drain and keep aside.
  2. Heat oil in a non-stick pan,add the mustard seeds and the urad dal. When the mustard seeds start to sputter,add the sliced onions, salt and saute till the onions turn translucent.
  3. Add the mixed vegetables,green chillies and stir for 5-6 minutes. Then,add the tomatoes and sambar powder(optional) and stir till the tomatoes are completely cooked.
  4. Add the quinoa and mix well.Stir for about a minute or two,then add two cups of water,cover and cook on medium heat for about 15-20 mins.
  5. Serve hot (as such or with some chutney)
How to make Spicy Quinoa Upma


22 comments:

chow and chatter said...

that is a cool way to cook quinoa and its so healthy and high in protein, i used to saute with veg also, but like your way with Indian kick to it!

Pooja said...

Thats a great idea to include quinoa in upma. Looks delicious :)

theUngourmet said...

I bet this is great! Have you tried Red Quinoa? It's really good to. A friend of my soaks hers and allows it to sprout before she eats it.

Priyanka said...

I like your fun takes on recipes, this idea is awesome!

Jenn said...

I haven't realy tried quinoa. But that looks really good. That's pretty neat.

Charlotte said...

I haven't tried it yet, but that sure sounds good to me. I will have to go get some quinoa.

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow healthy and yum....

Anonymous said...

I desperately WANt to like quinoa, but I've had two failed attempts with it! is it just me, or does it taste kinda bitter? I made sure to wash it well, though...maybe it's just supposed to taste that way?
yours looks so good but I can't seem to manage to cook it like yours!

Anonymous said...

Yum- looks good...I'll have to give it a try. Have a great weekend!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Rebecca,Pooja,Priyanka,Jenn,Kitchen Flavours,Angie-thank you :)
Kim-Thanks for the info,will hunt for red quinoa,hadn't heard of it!
Burpandslurp-maybe you need to make it a little spicy!
Charlotte-let me know how it turns out!!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

I tried quinoa for breakfast for the first time last week, it was so interesting! :) great grain indeed!

Christo Gonzales said...

I like quinoa but I dont eat it as often as I probably should - time to get some quinoa~

Sharon said...

Mmmm, I need to incorporate quinoa back into my eats, but it is so hard for me to find where I live.

lubnakarim06 said...

Nice to know that you are also from B'lore.

Astra Libris said...

Such a beautiful quinoa recipe!! I do adore quinoa... Thank you for inspiring me with a new way to fix quinoa!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Quinoa was just on the Today show! haha, they were talking about how it's such a "super food" because of all of the protein and the fact that it's a starch (not many carbohydrate foods have such high amounts of protein). I love it that it can be salty or sweet, it's really a perfect food!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Balance,Joy,Delicias,Gina-isn't it indeed a 'super grain'!!
Doggybloggy,Astra Libris-feels good to remind you about quinoa:)
Sharon-all the best,hope you find it!

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

Interesting. I have to try out that grain.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Smitha-I'm sure you'll love it :)

Anonymous said...

Hi sweta..
Never tried this recipe.sounds great ..by the by added u in my blog roll so that i can always keep a track on u :) ..thanks for visiting my blog
love
veena

Anonymous said...

I have been hearing a lot about quinoa these days. Will give it a try in due course of time. Btw, I am a first timer at ur blog and the pic of the upma looks just perfect.Hopefully it turns out the same way as is in ur pic when I make it.wish me luck

Yasmeen said...

I'm gonna have to search harder for this grain,no luck yet finding it.Upma sounds yum with all desi masala:)