Friday, May 8, 2009

Chickpea Salad

Yesterday, Gina in her blog 'The Candid R.D', had a great post called "Snack Attack" ,where she lists out the good snacks (and the not so good ones).She had also asked if we had a favorite snack, to which I mentioned that chickpea salad was one of my fave. That,actually reminded me that I had not made it in a very long time-so,thanks to Gina,today's snack just had to be "Chickpea Salad". This can be eaten as a side salad or as a snack by itself. There's one more version which my mom used to make for breakfast(since it didn't have fresh onions),so this post has two recipes (but only one pic)with chickpeas.

Chickpea salad
Chickpea salad: (Serves 2)
Ingredients:
  • Cooked chickpeas: 2 cups
  • Onions:1/2 medium (finely chopped)
  • Green chillies: 1/2 or 1 (slit or finely chopped)
  • Cilantro: 2 tablespoons (finely chopped)
  • Tomatoes: 1 small (finely diced)
  • Lime juice: 1 teaspoon
  • Salt: to taste
Method:
  1. Toss all the ingredients together and serve with baked tortilla chips(optional).
Chickpea (breakfast version): Serves 2
Ingredients:
  • Chickpeas: 2 cups(cooked)
  • Green chillies: 1/2 or 1 (slit or chopped))
  • Freshly grated coconut: 1-2 teaspoon (optional)
  • Coriander leaves: 2 tablespoon(finely chopped)
  • Mustard seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
  • Urad dal (black matpe bean dehusked and split): 1 teaspoon
  • Curry leaves: 2-3 nos.
  • Zeera/Cumin seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
  • Oil: 1 teaspoon
Method:
  1. Heat the oil in a pan,add the mustard,cumin and urad dal. When the mustard starts to sputter,add the curry leaves and then the green chillies.
  2. Add the cooked chickpeas,salt and mix well.
  3. Serve hot,garnished with coconut gratings(optional) and chopped cilantro.
I'm going to ask you the same question that Gina asked(maybe it'll remind you of your long forgotten snack)
Question: What is your favorite snack item?

17 comments:

chow and chatter said...

so simple love it, I love chocolate but not so healthy for an RD but portion control is the key or wholegrain toast with a little nutella and banana and a cup of tea!!!!- always the Brit

Christo Gonzales said...

I love popcorn - we eat tons of it....

Pooja said...

Healthy n nutritious salad! I love the combo!
Wow you made me put on my thinking cap..hmm..I do love Banana fritters but doesnt belong to the category of healthy snack! Another one is Spinach n Feta parcels, a greek snack..wow its been a very long time since I had it. Have to make it soon :)

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of chickpeas for a snack - great healthy idea. For my afternoon snack today and had a little tomato salad with basil and nayonnaise.

Jenn said...

Love chickpeas. Though I don't eat as much of it as I'd like. Great to to know that they'd be a good snack.

theUngourmet said...

I don't really snack very often but I would say I like bananas or something salty like crackers.

I love the chickpea recipes! Yum!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

MMMM salad comforting and healthy sometimes I love to have this in the morning itself, so filling and nutritious...

Anonymous said...

Great recipe, Sweta! Can't wait to try it!

My favorite snack right now is greek yogurt with honey or blueberry preserves.....or chocolate!

Have a great weekend!

Yasmeen said...

I like to snack-on the salad,totally guilt-free.Among my fav. snacks are biscotti,crackers and sprouts:)

Vrinda said...

Thanx for visiting my blog Sweta..U too have a lovely blog.Chickpea salad looks easy and healthy..

Pearl said...

salad as a snack! :)

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

Great source of protein.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Guys-thanks for sharing :)

sangeeta said...

love this salad.i have one in my archives with black chickpeas....my fav snack right now is carrots, cucumbers and some nuts......earlier too i liked roasted chana n sprouts .

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

Lately I've been loving kale chips. I also love hummus and pita for a snack!

Jaya M said...

Hi,
this is very appetizing ...salad with chick peas are real great ..my snack is spicy puffed rice ( muri in bengali)...
let me extend my invitation to you to a very small event of mine "Save The earth" ..hope to see you more often..
hugs and smiles

Ann said...

Wow.. I love this alltime.. My top fav snack. and thanks for the greek yogurt idea in the smoothie :) I will try that next time.