Friday, April 9, 2010

Tandoori fish

Tandoori Fish

There are just a couple of seafood dishes that my husband is okay with,one of them being "Tandoori fish". He's a little particular that the dish doesn't "smell fishy" (?) so I need to buy fish which aren't too oily(that also unfortunately means less omega-3 in it) and also choose methods that doesn't make the dish smell fishy (fish curry is a strict "no-no"). Here's a list of fish that are HIGH in Omega-3's:
Bass(striped); Herring; Mackerel, Oysters(Pacific); Sablefish(also called black cod);Salmon; Trout(freshwater);Tuna.
The tandoori masala and the marination seem to camouflage the smell and the result is very tasty too!!You can pick up tandoori masala at any Indian store and if you are a little wary of the 'red color' you could opt for the organic version(with no added colors) or make it from scratch with garam masala, ginger-garlic paste,paprika, pepper powder and salt ( I'm not familiar with the actual proportions for each,it's usually trial and error when I make it). Tandoori Fish when baked or grilled is a healthy way of serving fish. Here are the ingredients for the 'tandoori fish':
Ingredients:
  • Fish steaks/fillets (halibut/tilapia/tuna/salmon): 4nos.
  • Tandoori masala: 1-2 tablespoon (use less for milder taste or more if you want it spicier)
  • Yogurt: 2 tablespoon
  • Vinegar: 1tsp
  • Lemon : 1/2
  • Onion : 1/2 medium (chopped into rings)
Method:
  1. Wash the fish well (traditionally fish in India is washed in water,then some tumeric and lemon juice is applied to the pieces and kept for 1/2 an hour,and then washed off again).
  2. Mix the tandoori masala, yogurt and vinegar and taste for salt. If required,add a little salt.
  3. Coat the fish with the tandoori masala and let it marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or you could also shallow fry it in a pan till done.
  5. Squeeze some lime juice over it just before serving.
  6. Serve the tandoori fish with some lemon wedges and some onion rings.

Tandoori Fish
Q: What is your favorite method of cooking fish?

14 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I love all kinds of fish...and my husband just eats fish fingers once in a long while...I told him he misses a lot...
Love this Tandoori fish...just so tempting!

chow and chatter said...

oh yummy my hubby loves this but its pan fried yours is a lovely healthy version I write for an Alaskan seafood company could I feature it and link to you

Love ya have a good weekend nice to see you blogging

Rebecca

Jenn said...

I'm a fish lover of all kinds. Delish!! I want to give this a try.

MelindaRD said...

Looks beautiful and really easy to do. Obviously this would be good for us since we have so much fish around.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

looks lovely and healthy too...
I love fish too and prefer the non smelly ones too...

Simply Life said...

oh that looks delicious!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Boy do I understand this dilemma! Nick will eat shrimp, and fied cod. Nothing else!! haha, no omega-3's there. Oh well, he does take the fish oil tablets! That's definitely better than nothing.

Gina; The Candid RD said...

I completely understand your dilemma. Nick will eat shrimp and fried cod, nothing else in the form of fish. He does take a fish oil table though, which is better than nothing!

Thanks for the information about tandoori. I'm actually never tried it! I need to.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Angie,Jenn,Melinda:I'm sure you'll love it!!
Reb: sure,go ahead :)
HCOF: can't wait to see what new dishes you make with fish :)
Simply Life: oh yes it is!!
Gina:LOL, looks like we are sailing on the same boat ;)

Dewi said...

Hmmm, fish tandori sounds so delicious.

Mother Rimmy said...

I love the color the seasonings added to an already beautiful salmon. Delish!

Mother Rimmy said...

This is a must make. We eat salmon at least once a week and I've run out of recipes. This looks simple and delicious.

Kristi

Sabyasachi Patra | Tales from Wild India said...

Wow! Mouth watering. Fish is good for heart. It is the easiest way to get some good nutrition. I can survive just on fish.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

@Sabyasachi-welcome to my blog. Eating fish at least twice a week is definitely good for health-but how you make it also matters :) Not sure if I can survive on it though-variety is the spice of my life!!