I've modified the recipe for the collard upkari by adding some chopped onions,some chopped ginger and a pinch of asafoetida(hing) as I like the flavor it adds to the dish.
- Collard leaves: 1 bunch (chopped)
- Green chilly:1-2(slit length wise)
- Onion-1/2 medium (finely chopped) optional
- Ginger-1/2 inch (cut into long strips) optional
- Coconut: 1tbsp(freshly grated/frozen)
- Salt to taste
- Oil: 1tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1tsp
- Urad dal: 1tsp
- Asafoetida/hing: a pinch(optional)
- Curry leaves: 3-4 (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- When the mustard starts to pop, add the asafoetida and the curry leaves.
- Add the chopped ginger,slit green chillies and onions and saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the chopped collard (or any of the other vegetables/green leafy vegetables) and stir-fry for 10mins.
- Then add a little water, salt to taste and cover and cook till done.
- Garnish the collard upkari with the coconut scrapings. Serve hot with a dash of lime (goes well with dal and rice).
Note: You can add 1/2 cup of split moong(wash and soak for 15 mins-add at step 5 with the water) or cooked pulses(kabuli channa) to add some protein to the dish.