pineapple (yes,now that I have THE pineapple cutter I can actually experiment with pineapple dishes, since we seem to buying it almost every week) flavoured mulligatawny soup. The addition of the pineapple makes this soup a perfect soup for summer or winter!
- Pineapple: 1 cup (chopped)
- Onion: 1/2 medium (finely chopped)
- Garlic:2 cloves(crushed)
- Ginger:1/2 " piece(finely chopped)
- Pepper: 1-2 teaspoon(freshly ground)
- Turmeric: a pinch
- Curry powder or Sambar/rasam powder:1/2 to 1 teaspoon
- Green chillies:1-2(slit lengthwise)
- Water/vegetable broth/dal water: 2 cups
- Oil: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: to taste
- Sugar/Jaggery: 1 teaspoon(optional)
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
- Zeera/Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
- Peppercorns:3-4 nos.
- Curry leaves:2-3 nos.
- Hing/Asafoetida: a pinch (optional)
- Puree half the quantity of the pineapple into a fine paste and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the mustard seeds,cumin seeds and peppercorns.
- When the mustard starts to sputter,add the curry leaves,turmeric and the asafoetida (optional).
- Add the chopped ginger and the crushed garlic and stir-fry till slightly brown.
- Then,add the chopped onions,green chillies and salt and saute till the onions are golden brown.
- Add the pineapple puree along with the rest of the chopped pineapple pieces,curry or sambar/rasam powder,sugar/jaggery(optional) and stir continuously for about 5-6 minutes on medium heat.
- Add about 2 cups of water/vegetable broth (or you could also use the water after boiling dal) and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with a dash of freshly ground pepper.