Thursday, April 2, 2009

My Introduction to Rhubarb.

Rhubarb Compote
I tried a lot of new vegetables and fruits (Asparagus,Bosc pears, Apple pears,etc)for the first time only after coming to the U.S. I had always seen these reddish stalks called "Rhubarb" in the grocery stores,but never bought them as I had no clue what to do with them. Then a big coincidence-two of my favourite bloggers(Natasha of 5 Star Foodie-Culinary Adventures and Rebecca of Rebecca's Insight's)happened to feature two Rhubarb dishes on the very same day. Was this a sign from above??I had to try it out-and so I did.

I bought these two lovely red stalks of Rhubarb (that too Organic,mind you) and decided that the Rhubarb Compote posted by 5 Star Foodie was the easiest to make. I may have over cooked it or maybe added a little too much water and hence the result was a mushy compote,but nevertheless tasty. It's got a slightly sour(khatta) taste and that with the vanilla yogurt was just out of this world!! I used the remaining syrup in some black tea and that was amazing too!
Thanks a ton Natasha and Rebecca for introducing me to this new vegetable.
So all those of you intrigued by this vegetable and want to try it out,check out the Rhubarb Compote recipe on 5 Star Foodie's blog and let her know how it turned out!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweta, I was just now looking at your post and got your comment at the same time :) Looks like your compote turned out beautifully and I'm so glad you tried it! Thanks for the link to my recipe too!!!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Thank YOU for introducing me to this amazing vegetable :-)

eatingRD said...

I LOVE rhubarb! That sounds really good. I have a bread machine with a jam setting, so I usually make strawberry/rhubarb jam which is so delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

-kristen

Michelle @ Find Your Balance Health said...

I've only had strawberry rhubarb pie, never tried making anything with it though. Interesting how you used in tea!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

A bread machine with a jam setting-good for you Kristen!!
The strawberry rhubarb pie sounds yummy Michelle.
I can now confidently try out some other recipes with rhubarb.I'd like to try it with an Indian twist-a chutney would be ideal.It may just taste good,let's see ;-)

kristen :) said...

Hi! For some reason your e-mail went to my junk-email, but I found it and loved it! Thanks for sharing your story with me. You have such a impressive resume and it disheartens me that your schooling isn't recognized here and you can't get the required visa. You are someone that really deserves it. I actually was looking to become a corporate dietitian after I get my MS degree in exercise physiology. Would you recommend it? Any tips for that realm of dietetics? How is Corvalis? My fiancee and I visited Portland recently and really loved it. I also wanted to ask you if you use sumac? I found this spice and used it in a lamb kofta recipe and loved it! Good luck with everything and your little one!

-kristen

Sara said...

I just love rhubarb! We actually have a little rhubarb plant growing in our yard. I have some in the freezer that I need to use up!

Angie's Recipes said...

I used to think that's a red celery . :-))
sweta, you've mentioned about looking for a recipe of Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte/Black Forest Cake. I have baked the cake 5 or 6 times, and everytime slightly different and all without using alcohol (the experts here in Germany would tell you the cake made without brushing with Kirschwasser/cherry liqueur is not a traditional and not real Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, well.....no comments about that. )
The links followed would direct you to two recipes.
http://angiesrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/12/chocolate-chiffon-layer-cake.html
http://schneiderchen.de/324Schwarzwaelder-KirschtorteBlack-Forest-Cake.html

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Thank you Sara and Angie.Angie-both cakes look yummy.Can't make up my mind as to which one to bake!
Kristen-I haven't used sumac,infact I had not heard of it until you mentioned it.Will hunt for it and try it:)

Yasmeen said...

Simple and delicious compote,I've found couple of tasty recipes in my cookbooks with this unique stalks yet to try.It imparts a luscious red color almost like beets,love it:)

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Yasmeen-you've got to try them.Can't wait to read about it on your blog l:)