This recipe is being shared by Suma Bhat from Corvallis,Oregon,who got it from her mom-in law.
It can be served as a snack or even a breakfast item. It's a combination of two lentils and the steaming certainly qualifies this as a "healthy" snack.You could opt to add a mix of different vegetables to make it more filling and of course more nutritious. Thanks Suma for sharing this recipe.
Nucchina Unde(Steamed lentil ball): Serves 3
• Toor dal/split yellow lentils: 1 cup
• Channa dal/split Bengal gram: 1/4 cup
• Corriander/Cilantro leaves: ¼ bunch(finely chopped)
• Curry leaves: 10nos. (finely chopped)
• Green chillies: 5 to 6,chopped.
• Grated fresh Coconut: 1 tsp
• Grated Ginger: ½ inch
• Salt: to taste
• Hing /Asafoetida:a pinch
• Oil: 1 tsp (for greasing)
1. Soak both the dals in water for 4 hrs. Later drain the water and grind the drained dals without adding any water (make sure the mixture is coarse, not very smooth).
2. Mix all other ingredients to this mixture.
3. Now grease steel vessel or Idli plates lightly with oil, make oval shaped balls and steam cook in a pressure cooker for 15 – 20 minutes until they are done.
4. Serve hot with mint chutney.
To make it more nutritious,you can add cut and steamed mixed vegetables like french beans, peas, grated carrot,finely chopped onions and mix it with the coarse lentil mixture before steaming.