However,not many people know the health benefits of Avocados. This fruit has a higher fat content than most other fruits,but since the fat it contains is mainly monounsaturated fat(MUFA),they are actually good for health.They are also packed with fiber,folate and heart-healthy anti-oxidants like vitamin C and E.
So,how does one eat a fruit that really has no taste-simple,use it as a spread on toast/sandwiches (instead of butter/mayonnaise) by mashing the fruit,adding a little lime,salt and pepper. Another popular dish(the one I had served at my son Aditya's birthday bash) is the "Avocado Dip" or "Guacamole" as it's popularly called. I learnt it from my hubby's aunt (Anita athya) when we had gone to their place at Rockville,MD during the Christmas vacation. Thanks athya for teaching me another "Healthy recipe".
- Avocados:2-3 ripe
- Red onion: 1/2(finely diced)
- Tomatoes:3 nos.(finely chopped)
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves: 3 tablespoons(finely chopped)
- Lime juice:1 teaspoon
- Green chillies:1-2(finely chopped)
- Pepper:1/4 teaspoon,freshly ground
- Salt: to taste
- Cut the avocados into half,remove the seed and scoop out the pulp.
- Mash the pulp using either a masher or a fork.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Serve along with baked tortilla chips or roasted plain papads.