Friday, June 5, 2009

Stuffed Green Pepper (with Chilly Tofu) Microwave Low-fat version

Low-fat Microwave Stuffed Capsicum(with Chilly tofu)


I had first seen the recipe of Stuffed Green Bell Pepper (or "Capsicum" and "Shimla Mirchi"as it is popularly known as in India) when I was a kid and was skimming through one of my mother's magazines (I think it was either "Femina" or "Savvy") and came across this awesome looking photo of a stuffed capsicum(I wasn't into cooking then,so I can hardly remember what it was stuffed with, but I'm guessing it had potatoes).
I was so enamored with that photo that I bugged and begged my mom to make it and she finally relented and agreed to make it.So,the next day, off we went,my mom and little me in tow to the bazaar/market and bought a couple of the freshest,greenest and biggest looking capsicums for the recipe(the rest of the stuff which we bought has been deleted from my memory-I happen to have a limited memory space and I tend to save only the most important stuff). Anyway,we got home and my mom got busy in the kitchen with me doing the most important part-opening the magazine to the page where the recipe was and keeping it where my mother could refer to it.That done,I left my mom to do the cooking(she was the expert afterall)and I guess I must have whiled away the time till dinner.
When it was ready,we were called to the dinner table and I ran excitedly(again please note that I was never a good eater as a child and nothing other than chocolates got me excited) to take my place at the dinner table. That was when I saw what my mom had made and I burst into tears,and no-it was not tears of joy,but that of bitter disappointment!
It didn't resemble the dish in the book at all,infact it didn't even look like she had made the same dish.I ran into the kitchen and got the book and pointed it out to her(just incase she had made the NEXT recipe by mistake)-the photo was of a nice green bell pepper,with a perfectly green skin,no blemishes,filled with the yummiest looking stuff with a little firm cap on it.What actually sat on the table was a soggy, greenish brown mass barely able to hold the stuffing!! My mother and the rest of the family tried to explain that in the photo the bell pepper was not subjected to any cooking and was just to get(what I now understand is called) an "awesome shot".
The recipe called for the pepper to be fried,which made it change in colour and texture and hence the soggy mass sitting on our dining table. Whatever she made must have probably tasted great because she did make it a couple of times after that and even experimented with different stuffing's,but I really couldn't care. It was NOT what was in the book!!!
Low-fat Microwave Stuffed Capsicum(the cooked version)

I've always loved the stuffed capsicum served at restaurants, but have found it way too oily to make on a regular basis. Looking for a healthier version I got the idea of "Microwave Stuffed Capsicum".  I had some tofu that I had bought to make "Chilly Tofu"(the recipe for which I have posted earlier). Since it was for a stuffing, the only change I made was to crumble the tofu instead of cutting them into cubes,and yes,I took a snap of the dish before and after cooking the bell pepper!!
Check out the recipe and ingredients for the "Quick Chilly Tofu" here.
To make this dish you will also need about 4 bell peppers (you can choose whatever colour you fancy).
Method:
  1. Cut the bell peppers carefully at the top,and remove the seeds.
  2. Apply a little oil to the outer side of the capsicum and microwave on high for 3-8 minutes (depending on the microwave)
  3. Once they are ready,stuff it carefully with the "chilly tofu" (recipe given here) and serve.
  4. You can even stuff it with paneer/ tofu/ egg burji (scrambled eggs). 



Low-fat Microwave Stuffed Capsicum
P.S:
  • Since I've microwaved the peppers, it doesn't look anything like the fried version that is imprinted in my memory.
  • You could even 

Question: Have you ever followed a recipe to the T only to end up with a dish that didn't quite look like that shown in the book/magazine?

35 comments:

Vibaas said...

Sounds yum and love this healthier version :)

Unknown said...

That looks beautiful! Love the tofu filling!

Pooja said...

Lovely post Sweta! The stuffed bell pepper looks so cute n delicious! Love the tofu filling too! And yeah it has happened to me lots of times. Have wondered how the final results appear way different from the ones shown, on following the same recipe!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Oh wow it too do this with tofu, paneer potato and moong too.. looking so good and my fav too. Pass me know

Parita said...

i too posted a dish with bell peppers today :) stuffed bell peppers look delicious..love the tofu filling..healthy :) oh my talking about it, it happens all the time with me..i think it happens with everyone who cooks :)

Ann said...

Wow.. that is tempting and love the presentation :)

Jenn said...

Love stuffed peppers. Well done. I'm definitely going to have a hard time decide a winner for this week.

eatingRD said...

I love stuffed peppers! I was actually planning on making some this week with quinoa. Yours look yummy! Most of the time when I make something it never quite looks like the photo exactly, but I always improvise and make sure it tastes good at least :)

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

You could also bake the stuffed peppers instead of microwaving. I've never had great luck with stuffed anything though..they always fall apart :-)

Kalai said...

love the stuffing.nice presentation.

lisaiscooking said...

I like the idea of stuffing a pepper with tofu. Sounds great! I have made things that didn't look like the photo. That's so irritating!

Gita Jaishankar said...

Wow...love this healthier version with tofu filling...looks so delicious :)

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

it looks pretty, delicious and healthy! great recipe! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful meal!!

We make peppers stuffed with meat and other veggies, but this is a great idea! AND beautiful too!

Rohini said...

Hey, nice one Shweta! Hmm, so lots of interest in cooking uh? I always wanted to say this to u that you write really really well, which is one of the reasons your blog looks soo good!! So, tofu again, shall try this!

Anonymous said...

This stuffed pepper looks great! I love the chilli tofu stuffing, very nice!

Christo Gonzales said...

dang now I feel like I have to step up to the bell pepper plate - this looks so good and with the tofu - nice touch.

Renus Kitchen said...

healthier version than what I make.....good work!

Angie's Recipes said...

I would love to cover a thick layer of cheese and bake to melting........:-))

lubnakarim06 said...

Super......love that filling stuffing...completely scrummy....

Hari Chandana P said...

lovery recipe..looks delicious.. thanks for sharing

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love stuffed vegetables too! I think they make even vegetable fearing children interested in eating veges!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

I love you before cooked and after cooked picture... Now I know why I never ate stuffed capsicum growing up - they never met my expectations...
Yours look just great!

Vrinda said...

I don't eat Tofu..but ur stuffed version looks great with awesome presentation..

Gina; The Candid RD said...

I think they do a great job making foods/dishes look incredibly amazing. They basically put "makeup" on the food, make the lighting perfect, and choose the freshest ingredients so the picture looks AMAZING. So yes, many times I can say I have made a recipe only to find that is doesn't resemble what I thought I was making! The stuffed peppers look great. Easy, healthy, and delicious meal, perfect!

Priya Suresh said...

Sounds to delicious and this stuffed bell pepper looks too yummy!! Thanks for sending to AFAM!

Anonymous said...

wow! looks YUMMY!!! I love stuffed anything...gosh, yet another awesome competitor! my chances of winning is crashing down...lol!
to answer your question, I never had that...because I NEVER follow a recipe to the T!

Heather S-G said...

This sounds really good...and I know, those sneaky "book & magazine" food photographers are conspiring against us "real" food photographers! I often think that :D

chow and chatter said...

nice job Sweta and a cute story I hope you win i love it Rebecca

Astra Libris said...

Such a wonderful story, and a beautiful recipe!! Ah yes, many a time I find the dish doesn't come out quite as lovely as the "food styled" version in the magazine... :-) Your stuffed peppers, however, are just as beautiful as they can be! Gorgeous!!

Dana Fallentine said...

How creative! I love food that is nutritious!

Anonymous said...

I make this too..my husband is a vegan and I often stuff the bell peppers with tofu.looks great

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Vibaas,Divya,Ann,Kalai,Gita,Coco, Angie(Angiesappetite),Natasha,DB, Renu,KF, Vrinda, HCOF, Sophia:thanks :)
Kristen:quinoa stuffing,that sounds really good!!
Pavithra:sure,anytime!
Jenn:great collection of bell pepper recipes.
Michelle:I know,I'm not too fond of baking,so I took the easy way out!!
Parita:congrats on winning the BSI challenge.
Pooja,Lisa,Dar,Gina:wow,looks like I'm not the only one who get's conned by the food photographers ;-)
Angie(angie'srecipe):oooooh,that would be yummy-but,way too much calories to be put up as a healthy recipe!!
Hari,Priya:most welcome :)
Reb,Astra,Ro:thanks for reading the whole post ;)
Dana,Shubha- :)

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I am making stuffed bell peppers tomorrow night for supper. these look killer but I have to make them "N'Awlins" style or my family will revolt.

Gina; The Candid RD said...

I'm glad I could help bring back fond memories :) Nick doesn't like coffee, but I like it so much I will never stop drinking it! Actually, Nick LOVES chai, so maybe one day I'll start making chai...I like it too, it just doesn't provide the same kick as coffee!