Monday, June 15, 2009

Pineapple Mulligatawny soup

Pineapple Mulligatawny Soup
There are so many versions of the famous "Mulligatawny Soup" (the literal Tamil translation being just "pepper water" ) that I decided to add my own version-a pineapple (yes,now that I have THE pineapple cutter I can actually experiment with pineapple dishes, since we seem to buying it almost every week) flavoured mulligatawny soup. The addition of the pineapple makes this soup a perfect soup for summer or winter!
Ingredients:
  • Pineapple: 1 cup (chopped)
  • Onion: 1/2 medium (finely chopped)
  • Garlic:2 cloves(crushed)
  • Ginger:1/2 " piece(finely chopped)
  • Pepper: 1-2 teaspoon(freshly ground)
  • Turmeric: a pinch
  • Curry powder or Sambar/rasam powder:1/2 to 1 teaspoon
  • Green chillies:1-2(slit lengthwise)
  • Water/vegetable broth/dal water: 2 cups
  • Oil: 1 teaspoon
  • Salt: to taste
  • Sugar/Jaggery: 1 teaspoon(optional)
For tempering:
  • Mustard seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
  • Zeera/Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
  • Peppercorns:3-4 nos.
  • Curry leaves:2-3 nos.
  • Hing/Asafoetida: a pinch (optional)
Method:
  1. Puree half the quantity of the pineapple into a fine paste and keep aside.
  2. Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the mustard seeds,cumin seeds and peppercorns.
  3. When the mustard starts to sputter,add the curry leaves,turmeric and the asafoetida (optional).
  4. Add the chopped ginger and the crushed garlic and stir-fry till slightly brown.
  5. Then,add the chopped onions,green chillies and salt and saute till the onions are golden brown.
  6. Add the pineapple puree along with the rest of the chopped pineapple pieces,curry or sambar/rasam powder,sugar/jaggery(optional) and stir continuously for about 5-6 minutes on medium heat.
  7. Add about 2 cups of water/vegetable broth (or you could also use the water after boiling dal) and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
  8. Serve hot with a dash of freshly ground pepper.
Question: What is your favorite "summer" soup?

38 comments:

chow and chatter said...

looks fab for summer, i like gazpacho lol

Jenn said...

Wow i never would have thought to have put pineapple in a soup. Looks delicious!!

Parita said...

never made soup with pineapple, looks very hearty!!

Angie's Recipes said...

I have made the chicken, rice with pineapple, but haven't tried with the soup.
Looks a yummy dessert soup to me.

Gina; The Candid RD said...

I really admire your patience and uniqueness in the kitchen! The soup looks great.

Gita Jaishankar said...

wow....pineapple in mulligatawny! Love your idea...I cant wait to try this one...looks comforting :)

Vrinda said...

I am not a soup person,but i am big fan of pineapples.. i should try this ..looks yum..

Anonymous said...

girl, u seem to be making the most of the pineapple cutter. this is a great soup I must say..my dad loves this kinda soup

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Reb-gazpacho sounds fab too!
Jenn-aww,come on,you would have eventually come up with it!!
Parita-well it was a 'fun'soup rather than a hearty soup;)
Angie-oh yes,you could definitely have it as a dessert soup :)
Gina-you should have seen me 3 years ago(no patience and definitely no uniqueness) ;)
Gita,Vrinda-let me know if you do!
Shuba-YES,definitely making the most(paisa vasool types);)

Heather S-G said...

Holy cow...how creative! It sounds so delicious :)

teresa said...

What a fun combination! This looks delicious!

kittymatti said...

yummy yummy!! super recipe..

Anonymous said...

At first when I saw "pineapple" I thought it was gonna be a cold soup! But hot? Wow, I'm really intrigued!

Anonymous said...

This soup sounds excellent with pineapple, great for summer! A very creative idea!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Fabulous! I remember hearing all about Mulligatawny on Seinfeld's Soup Nazi episode and being totally intrigued. it's funny, I rarely see it on the menu at Indian restaurants here. I think I should just make it! :)

Pavithra Elangovan said...

I love soups.. looking so good and i have to try it..

chef and her kitchen said...

Nice soup..Never heard of this name..

veena said...

Soup using pineapple..wow ...Soup looks delicious yaar

I love pineapple ..so def i will try this ..

Shama Nagarajan said...

lovely delicious soup

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

fav summer soup? cucumber or tomatoes, sooo fresh! but this one sounds really delicious!

Muneeba said...

Gosh, how interesting - would never have put pineapple in with those flavors, but that just means I should get even more adventurous! Good idea Sweta.

Diana H said...

This sounds like a really cool summer treat.

Dewi said...

My cousin was making this Mulligatawny Soup, but it was the usual Mulligatawny Soup that I think was pretty generic. So, I am looking for something a bit unusual like your here with the pineapple. Sounds like a good one for me to try. Thanks for the recipe Sweta!

Pooja said...

Loved the addition of pineapple in soup! fabulous n healthy one! And now that you have the cutter I guess I can expect more pineapple dishes right :D

Lori said...

This sounds wonderful! The hot and sweet combo with the curry has to be so great. I just may venture to try this one. Hopefully I can find all I need here.

eatingRD said...

sounds refreshing! I've been wanting to make watermelon gazpacho :)

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Dar,Kittymatti,Sophia,Natasha, Pavithra, Shama, Muneeba :thanks :)
Teresa-thanks for visiting.
Lorraine: come to think of it,you are absolutely right-I don't think I've seen any Indian restaurants serving it either:(
Prathiba:you might have heard it with another spelling-mulliga thanni (pepper water) ;)
Veena,Elra,Lori:let me know if you do!
Coco-i love cold cucumber soup too:)
Diana:yes,a yummy treat!!
Pooja:you're absolutely right ;)

Yasmeen said...

Sweet n Spicy n tangy,this is a whole new rasam recipe.Love the chilled soups like avocado yogurt for summers:)

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Everytime I hear the name Mulligatawny it reminds me of Seinfeld :) looks so easy to make and the sweet and the hot taste will sure make this a winner

theUngourmet said...

I bet this is terrific! I can just about taste it!

Anonymous said...

Great recipe!!

Hands down, my favorite summer soup is gazpacho!

Anthony Sepe said...

Glad you added pineapple to your soup; I absolutely love pineapple, and have a pineapple cutter myself. In my opinion, the addition of pineapple makes a much sweeter tasting dish. Just the same, like adding pineapple to salsa, which tastes so good! Thanks again for a nice soup recipe.
Anthony Sepe
http://fromadietitiansperspective.blosgspot.com

Juliana said...

Sounds and looks great for the hot days...very interesting combination of ingredients...have to try.

kittymatti said...

hi dear, visit my blog to pick yr award:)

Anonymous said...

sweta, pls visit my blog to collect ur award

sangeeta said...

i love oineapple in any form ...but this is new for me....fruit in a peppery soup.....may be i like it..

lisaiscooking said...

The pineapple with the spices and chiles sounds great!

Jyoti said...

Wow ! Never made a soup with pineapple ..will be interesting to try !