Yesterday, Gina in her blog 'The Candid R.D', had a great post called "Snack Attack" ,where she lists out the good snacks (and the not so good ones).She had also asked if we had a favorite snack, to which I mentioned that chickpea salad was one of my fave. That,actually reminded me that I had not made it in a very long time-so,thanks to Gina,today's snack just had to be "Chickpea Salad". This can be eaten as a side salad or as a snack by itself. There's one more version which my mom used to make for breakfast(since it didn't have fresh onions),so this post has two recipes (but only one pic)with chickpeas.Chickpea salad: (Serves 2)
- Cooked chickpeas: 2 cups
- Onions:1/2 medium (finely chopped)
- Green chillies: 1/2 or 1 (slit or finely chopped)
- Cilantro: 2 tablespoons (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes: 1 small (finely diced)
- Lime juice: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: to taste
- Toss all the ingredients together and serve with baked tortilla chips(optional).
- Chickpeas: 2 cups(cooked)
- Green chillies: 1/2 or 1 (slit or chopped))
- Freshly grated coconut: 1-2 teaspoon (optional)
- Coriander leaves: 2 tablespoon(finely chopped)
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dal (black matpe bean dehusked and split): 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves: 2-3 nos.
- Zeera/Cumin seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil: 1 teaspoon
- Heat the oil in a pan,add the mustard,cumin and urad dal. When the mustard starts to sputter,add the curry leaves and then the green chillies.
- Add the cooked chickpeas,salt and mix well.
- Serve hot,garnished with coconut gratings(optional) and chopped cilantro.
Question: What is your favorite snack item?