Methi Rice/ Methi Pulao
Both methi seeds(fenugreek seeds) and methi leaves(fenugreek leaves) have been long used in Indian families as not just a culinary ingredient, but also for it's medicinal properties. The seeds are great for :
- diabetics as it can control the blood sugar levels (soak a tablespoon of methi seeds overnight and have it along with the soaked water the next day).
- relieves constipation,
- a boon to new mothers as it is a known galactogogue (increases breast milk),
- It is also believed to relieve menstrual cramps when taken along with yogurt/ buttermilk. (Soak a tablespoon of methi seeds/powder in yogurt/buttermilk for a couple of hours or overnight and eat it when you have menstrual cramps).
- lowering cholesterol
Methi leaves taste great in just about any dish. You can use the fresh leaves to make parathas, theplas, sabzi, add it into your dal or make methi pulao with it. Here's a quick and simple methi pulao that can be served with a raitha.
Ingredients for Methi Rice/Methi Pulao:
- Basmathi Rice: 2 cups (wash and soak in water for 20-30mins)
- Methi: 3-4 small bunches (or 1 big) washed and finely chopped
- Onion: 1 big (finely sliced)
- Tomatoes: 3 small (finely diced)
- Peas: a handful (optional)
- Ginger+garlic paste: 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds(jeera): 1tsp
- Cloves: 1-2nos.
- Peppercorns: 5 nos.
- Bay leaf: 1
- Cinnamon: 1" stick
- Whole cardamom: 2nos.
- Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
- Water: 4 cups
- Red chili powder: 1-2 tsp (or as per spice tolerance)
- Cumin powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder: 2tsp
- Garam masala: 1/4 tsp
- Oil: 3tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker. Add the whole spices (peppercorn, cloves, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cardamom and bay leaf).
- Then add the turmeric, sliced onions and fry till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger+garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Then add the chopped methi leaves and fry for 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- Add the tomatoes and the spice powders (chili, cumin, coriander,garam masala) and some salt and cook till the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add the soaked and drained basmathi rice, peas(optional) and mix well for 2 mins.
- Add the water, taste for salt and cover the pressure cooker and let it cook till one whistle.
- Switch off, let the pressure drop. Open and gently fork the rice to separate the grains.
- Serve hot with raitha of your choice.
Note: you can add 2 tablespoon of crushed peanuts as a garnish before serving. Enjoy.
How to make Methi Rice/ Methi Pulao