Healthy eating is all about eating in moderation, and what is life without a touch of sweetness? Treat your kids to the occasional desserts, but make it a tad healthier by using fresh and less processed foods. Learn how you can add more fibre to your crepes by using whole wheat flour (regular chapathi/roti atta). Using fresh fruits like strawberries, peaches, blackberries or raspberries instead of jams or preserves also increases it's nutritional value.
How to make whole wheat crepes
Ingredients for the crepes: (Makes approx 10-12)
- Whole wheat flour (atta)- 1 cup
- Eggs-3 nos.
- Milk- 1 cup,
- Water- 1 cup
- Honey/ jaggery- 1 tbsp
- Cardamom- 2-3 (remove the skin)
- Salt- a pinch
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend till you get a pouring consistency.
- Let it rest for 15-20 mins. In the meanwhile you can make the filling.
Ingredients for filling:
- Peaches/strawberry/blackberry/blueberry- 500gms
- Lemon juice- 2tsp
- Honey- 1-2 tsp
- Wash the fruit well. If using peaches, remove the skin and then slice into thin slivers. Strawberries need to be hulled and sliced into slivers.
- Put the fruit into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1-1.5 mins.
- Remove add the lemon juice, honey and mix well. Keep aside.
Making the crepes:
- Heat a pan, add a teaspoon of oil and spread it around the pan.
- Pour a ladle full of the batter and swirl the pan to spread the batter (do not spread it with the ladle like dosas),
- Cover and cook on medium flame for about 2-3 mins till golden brown. Then flip it over to cook on the other side( be careful not to break it since they are very thin).
- Cook for another 2 mins, then slide onto a plate.
- Spoon out the filling into the centre and cover it with the two ends of the crepe or roll the crepe (whichever is easier).
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt or fresh cream or maple syrup.
How to make Whole Wheat crêpe
Watch your kids devour the Whole Wheat Crepes with fresh peach and strawberry filling! Bon appetite!