Besides bhel-puri,my all time favourite chaat is anything which has 'dahi'/yogurt. I love the taste of yogurt when it's mixed with a spicy cilantro chutney and the sweet-n-spicy tamarind and date chutney. I found some Quaker puffed rice cakes (which claims to have 5gms of fiber/cake and is made of whole grain brown rice)at the grocery store and instantly visions of 'chaat' flashed across my mind. I used the rice cakes as a base and built the chaat tower on it. Here's what went onto the rice cakes:
- Rice cakes: 4
- Spicy cilantro chutney/Green apple chutney: 4 tbsps
- Boiled potatoes: 2 (coarsely crumbled)
- Onions: 2-3 tbsp finely chopped
- Tomatoes: 3 tbsp finely chopped
- Cilantro/coriander leaves: 3 tbsp finely chopped
- Green chillies:1-2 finely chopped(optional)
- Plain yogurt: 3-4 tbsp
- Tamarind-date chutney: 3 tbsp
- Sev: 4tsp
- Chaat masala: 2tsp
- Spread some spicy cilantro chutney/green apple chutney on the rice cake.
- Layer it with a mixture of boiled potatoes,chopped onions,cilantro,tomatoes and green chillies(optional).
- Slowly drizzle some yogurt and some tamarind-date chutney over it.
- Finally sprinkle a teaspoon of sev and some chaat masala over it and your chaat is ready!!
Eating the towers can be a little messy,but it's worth a try!!
Question: What is your favorite street food?