Monday, February 1, 2010
Everyone dreams of having a glowing complexion with shiny, glossy hair. People spend lakhs of rupees every year on skin and hair care products without realizing that what you put inside your body matters more than what you put on your skin and hair. A healthy lifestyle with the right kind of food and regular exercise could actually be the answer to all your skin and hair problems.
Here are a few skin and hair care tips that you should be aware of:
• Protect your skin and hair from harsh sunlight-use umbrellas, caps/hats, sunscreens.
• Use a soap/shampoo suited to your skin/hair type.
• Eat healthy-include plenty of fresh fruits, salads, whole grains, pulses, nuts and dark green vegetables in your diet. Avoid fried foods, sweets and junk foods.
• Keep yourself hydrated-drink at least 10-12 glasses of water/day.
• Exercise daily-it can increase the delivery and circulation of nutrients in the body and sweating tends to unclog the pores of the skin. Regular exercise can also control the amount of male hormones (testosterone) produced by the body and help curb male pattern baldness in some.
• Reduce/manage stress, stop smoking and get at least 7-8 hours of sleep every day.
• Avoid crash dieting-most crash/fad diets do not provide your body with all the essential nutrients and you could end up having some kind of nutrient deficiency and/or hair loss after a couple of months.
Keep in mind that there are no ‘miracle’ products or a ‘fountain of youth’, its how you take care of your body that will determine how good you look and feel.
(Contact your doctor or dermatologist if you notice a sudden loss of hair or have severe adult-acne or other skin problems, as these may be the signs of underlying health problems).